1. August for me means.... Miami Spice Month !! If you've never had the chance to participate in Miami Spice Month you have until September 30th to do so. Miami Spice is an annual promotion in which the best of the best restaurants in Miami allow you to try their signature meals for a $23 lunch or $39 dinner per person. So if you've never tried the filet mignon at Smith & Wollensky.. now is the time! (Unfortunately, they only do dinner, not lunch.. I went there last year for Miami Spice)
2. It's also the end of Miami Spa Month (I probably should've let you know about this one early.. but you have till August 31st). There are some great spa day deals for as little as $99 at some of the most well known spas in Miami. So if it's your moms birthday this month, this is an amazing gift!
3. I can't believe I only have two weeks until August 25, aka first day of fall semester. So I'm really running out of time to fulfill some of my 2014 summer to-do's #stressed. I'm sharing them with you in case you are lucky enough to find company and time to do them yourself:
- Painting with a Twist
- Super Wheels (yes, I've been dying to go back to this childhood place)
- K1 Speed
4. Fanfest is this weekend, August 8-10. If you like rock music, you might want to check it out local Miami bands. A kid I met in my English class this summer is performing. I'm not sure how he would feel if he knew I was promoting his band on here but they're really good so you can hear them at Fanfest on Friday, August 8, at 5:30 pm if you'd like. Here is their Facebook page.
5. Releasing the inner Yogi. I've been trying out different yoga classes lately. It's become one of my favorite hobbies. I just encountered these free yoga classes at local parks complimentary of One Yoga Foundation, a non profit dedicated to making yoga available to everyone. Here are some class times and locations.
6. College football starts! The story behind my love for football goes like this: last summer I started watching Friday Night Lights. The end. I loved it since then. Now, I'm not like a pro or anything. I don't wish to be either. I just like watching the games. Don't ask me about stats or players because I voluntarily won't know. All I know is I had so much fun attending UM games last year and I can't believe the season is right around the corner. Unfortunately, I won't be attending a college with a football team for my fall semester so I'll just have to bandwagon onto my friends' football teams.
7. School supply shopping! So much fun. I'm the kind of student who needs colorful, distinctive notebooks for every one of their classes. It helps me organize my things better because I know exactly what notebook belongs to a class without having to read the title. But the number one school supply I recommend to everyone is a planner.. they're so important. You might think you can mentally note down all your homework assignments but you're bound to forget at least one small task. I've had the 17-month Lilly Pulitzer Agenda for a year now and I'm IN LOVE with it. It's so compact yet spacious and it has elephants on it.. so it was basically made for me.
8. Something I should've added to my last post: Be sure to sell your summer semester books and buy your fall semester books this week! They usually take a while to come in and you don't want to show up unprepared to class. I spent two weeks making copies of the library textbook copy because my ordered textbook took forever to come in. Also, make sure to ask around if the book is even necessary for the class so you don't have to waste your money on it. Do not EVER buy from the college bookstores (they are wayyyy overpriced). Here are some websites I was recommended for textbook selling/buying:
9. Lastly, Job hunting. If you're looking for a part-time job now that you're in college and don't have a tedious 7 hour school schedule, I really recommend Craigslist. I know it sounds really ratchet to look at Craigslit for jobs but it's just to see the listings and then you can go on the company's official page to email them, you don't even have to say that you found it on Craisglist. It's easy ((: